December 7, 2009

I'm Goin' to California; I'm Goin' Far, Far, Far Away

Goin' to California, yes,
To resurrect my soul.
The sun is always shinin', shinin',
Or at least that's what I'm told.
I'm goin' to California,
There's a better life for me.
Goin' to California,
I'll write and tell you what I see.
I'm goin' to California,
Somebody say a prayer for me.

A letter to a neglected love.




Dear California,

I know it's been a couple of years since I visited you, but please believe me, I haven't stopped thinking or talking about you since.

I remember when I crossed the border into your world. Gliding along I-5, into Yreka. Remember when I stuck my black and white disposable camera out the window in Weed so I could take a picture of the sign announcing my entrance into the oddly named town? Then, like blades of fresh grass appearing on the first warm day of spring, the peaks of Mt. Shasta sprouted up tall and proud, and I felt like I was home.

Down through Redding, Red Bluff, Orland, Williams, Woodland and into Sacramento. Driving through the downtown streets, I peered at the city lights that spotted the Sacramento skyline--they were like multicolored Christmas lights flowing across a towering evergreen.

After a one night stand with your capital, I exited the city limits with a smile on my face. Traveling down the 5, I weaved through the dung-filled cow towns, into the crowded cities.

Hours passed before I caught a glimpse of Los Angeles. I wondered about it's Walk of Fame and the Kodak Theatre. I wondered about all of the stars who had succeeded and died there, disillusioned by the warmth of flashbulbs and lost in the smoggy haze of stardom. But, I couldn't stop, I had to keep going, I would be back, though.

I went on through Anaheim, the gritty city blessed with Disney's magical touch. Through Santa Ana, past Irvine and, finally, I found myself rolling parallel to the warm sands in Laguna Beach.

I spent a few days getting to know Laguna. Before I opened my eyes each morning, I heard the sounds of chirping birds and rushing waters; I felt the warmth of the sun and reveled in the smell of the citrus trees (which, although not native, fit in so well with the beautiful scenery). I soon left Laguna and got my chance to visit L.A.

It was another one night stand, but it was worth it. L.A. took me to dinner and a show. L.A. showed me through Bel Air and Beverly Hills; drove me down Sunset Boulevard and into Hollywood. L.A. showed me landmarks like the Beverly Hills Hotel and Grauman's Chinese Theatre. L.A. held my hand on the corner of Hollywood & Vine and made me feel beautiful.

I know my hometown has been nothing but good to me, but I just couldn't help the feelings I developed for L.A. If Tacoma was the high school sweetheart I was set to marry, L.A. was the handsome, adventurous and more successful other man that I cheated on my sweetheart with. But, who says a relationship born from quick impulses and deceitful desires can't be a relationship that goes the distance?

Cali (if I may call you that), I know we've lost touch over the past couple of years, but I don't want to be estranged from you any longer. The moment I saw your forest filled north, your temperate center and your sunshiny, palm tree speckled south, I knew I loved you.

There is still so much I don't know about you and I have every intention of learning all I can. I want to listen to secrets of your hills and the whispers of waves. I want to read what's written on your walls -- "Call Hollywood for a good time." -- and then leave my own tag (Jamika wuz here). I want to find out which rumors are true, clarify the misconceptions and investigate the urban legends.

At this time, when I'm surrounded by the cold, your warmth calls to me. I can't come right away, but I'll be there, I promise. You and I? We're going to make it. I hope you'll be as excited to see me, as I will be to see you. Until then, I will keep you in my thoughts and speak of nothing but my love for you to anyone who asks.

Shine On,
Jamika

Title Song: 'Gone to California' - P!nk

2 comments:

Don said...

Sounds like you hold strong strong feelings for Cali. I do not blame you. Although I've never visited I have many relatives, older relatives, who live out in California and they constantly advise me that I am missing out.

Sigh.

Maybe one day. until then, continue to enjoy....

Too funny @ If Tacoma was the high school sweetheart I was set to marry, L.A. was the handsome, adventurous and more successful other man that I cheated on my sweetheart with.

Anne said...

I love your new name thing. It's really really cool.

Your letter reminds me of my love affair with NYC. Or Connecticut. I know it's weird... they are two completely different places. But I have two different sides... Connecticut is my settle down and have a family place... and NYC is more of a fantasy/theatre thing. I love NY.

Can't wait for next monday's letter. I think monday and tuesday's blogs are my favorite.